Nova Storm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

NS music

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 48 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:05 am
Latest topics
» The Tsukuyomi Potence Arc P.2
The Metagame EmptyThu Mar 07, 2024 5:48 am by Surge

» Backstory Risings: Sensei and Pupil
The Metagame EmptySun Feb 18, 2024 3:42 am by Tamicat

» Explaining my own Experience
The Metagame EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 1:58 pm by Tamicat

» The Tsukuyomi Potence Arc
The Metagame EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 8:16 pm by Mado

» I'm hungry
The Metagame EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:24 am by FreezingBadlybutcool

» My Experience in Nova & What Happened
The Metagame EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 10:34 am by Tamicat

» Self Righteous Ignorance
The Metagame EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 12:19 am by charizardf1

» Aren't y'all 30 or something?
The Metagame EmptyWed Jan 31, 2024 1:34 am by attackonpoke

» My experience with nova storm chat PART 2
The Metagame EmptyTue Jan 30, 2024 2:54 am by Tamicat

The Metagame

5 posters

Go down

The Metagame Empty The Metagame

Post by charizardf1 Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:43 am

Hello everyone once again let me introduce myself. I am Charizardf1, the one who's made lots of stories about Nova and its people. In this posts I wish to share my input on how people think as well as what people follow when they play competitively in games. Before I begin this isn't me totally shitting on the metagame because I understand that all people have different perspectives and views when it comes to gaming. I also wish to note that everything I say is my opinion and personal observations on how I view the metagame as a whole. Now that I have established that.... let's begin.

There are both things I enjoy and hate about the metagame community of gaming. What I will first point out is the pros so I don't sound like I'm just ranting and shitting on people who this may apply to. What I like about the metagame is that it is a competitive community filled with people who wish to become strong and proficient in the games they play. They research, adapt, and improve themselves in order to reach the top. Everybody is competitive so they do their best and can really test your own limits on how you play the game yourself. These are the things about the metagame that is really enjoyable and fun. Now let's get into the flaws....

There are a good range of flaws that I find in the metagame that pertains with the majority of franchises. Metagame as a majority tends to be quite repetitive and focuses only on certain traits in order to be considered "good". Also the metagame throws out A LOT of elements that could be used within it. Singling out certain things because they view it as "not good" or "too powerful". For example you have Pokémon. In the metagame of pokemon majority of the pokemon community they follow this group named Smogon. Smogon uses a tier system in which lists pokemon in certain groups in terms of usage while also having pokemon who get banned, putting them in the Ubers tier. I honestly have no problem with the idea of this and I respect that this is a good way of balancing competitive battling, but there's a problem with what mindsets trainers develop within this said community. People start to confuse the tier system, viewing pokemon in their respected tier as their limitations of usage. OU(overused) pokemon are all better than NU(neverused). Also since Smogon is more of a community based meta and not official meta within the franchise, people tend to pick out certain pokemon that they view are overpowered. Now with a lot of pokemon that makes sense like legendarys that makes sense because most are built to be, in a sense, overpowered, but it has been getting out of hand because once a certain pokemon seems a little problematic, instead of adapting and elarning how to deal with the problem, they instead just ban it to ease themselves of the burden in which I find lazy and really retarded to do. 

Now this leads to the point of pointing out why I discussed my problem with pokemon. In metagames it seems people don't want to adapt and truly grow when it comes to their gaming. They wish to stay in their comfort zone and stick with they they assume will always win and take out things that can damper their flow of competition. My personal view is that if you're not smart enough to handle or want to handle something you're weak against, then that means you're weak yourself because you don't wish to overcome what can take out what usually gives you trouble. People are just too scared to lose and don't care to actually learn about everything in a game because in my opinion that's what competitive gaming is about in my opinion at least. I personally like to explore just about every aspect and research a wide variety of possibilities in which that can be effective instead of just stay in an area where things are already effective. That's pretty boring to me and takes out the fun and also seems to give people so much pressure to winning that if they do lose they just lose all meaning. I don't know about you but gaming is fun for me regardless of the outcome because in the end I'm doing what I really want to instead of following the trends and worrying on the entirety of winning. I find people get enraged and start to lose hope for themselves when people like this lose to me for various reasons, because I'm using something unique and also won with something unique ontop of them losing. So in the eyes of the type of meta I'm describing it makes them lose all hope within themselves and gets them all depressed and angry and want to quit the game and all that jazz. 

Speaking of trending that's also a problem I have in accordance with the adapting and truly growing problem. I really find it annoying and boring to have to deal with people in any game who all play the same exact thing the same exact way. It really urks me and makes the game a lot less fun. When it comes to games in my opinion you should play the game in a fashion that suits you and how YOU as a player wants to play it, that's how people can really get into and enjoy a game to the fullest as well as show others your own style. People who jump into competitive will often start freaking out and request people teach them or lead them to a competent guide that shows them how to be good in something, which is good but a lot of people take that too far. With franchises like pokemon and smash for example all people will do is either hop on that smogon page and copy them teams and sets or look up that tier chart and pick that top tier character everybody is using ad use it exactly how everybody is using it. I honestly have a HUGE disgust seeing people like this.... then they have the audacity to call out other people and say they are trash or not good because they don't do the same thing? It's just really funny in my opinion. Anyways along with my view on this the way I look at games is that there are advantages and disadvantages, not good or bad and black and white. Yes when it comes to smash characters like bayonetta and cloud they probably have the least weaknesses and the best strengths to manipulate in order for you to win a win but that doesn't mean it's impossible to use anything else. All games nomatter what are played by the player and never the mechanics within the game. If you are aware and have knowledge about what cloud's moves are and what his usual strategy is then what's stopping you from reking it with any character? All games in the end are mind games and it's up to the player to defeating the opponent, not the character. So this leads up to the question of why can't people realize this and just use whatever character they want? You can learn to be good with anything and beat any opposing character if you're smart enough to do so. 

I guess I also havn't gone in depth in what I view in terms of variety. Obviously due to trending people all of course end up using the same thing as everyone else. People wish to win correct? And people want to choose the best options when they are going against an opponent right? Then why is the metagame all playing the same predictable things al the time in order to win? I honestly don't understand it. How else can you pull off a glorious win if you can't sike your opponent out with your own style of play? What I fnd troubling is when I'm playing against an opponent competitively in a game, they will ALWAYS do the exact same thing nomatter how many times I brutally punish them for it. For example in smash bros one of the funniest and saddest punishes I can ever do is against fox/falco players is they all recover the exact same way and they lose SOLELY because of that alone. The metagame is so blind to their following and trends that they can't seem to adapt to their opponents. Then they question "I don't understand why I'm losing" when it's obvious why they are losing. Even telling them upfront why they lose doesn't change anything. The metagame is way too dependent on their trends and don't really try to expand themselves and learn to independently grow and counter their opponents.

Anyways that's my opinion and views on the metagame of competitive gaming. Share with me your pros and cons on the metagame and if you have any differing views on the subject.
charizardf1
charizardf1

Back to top Go down

The Metagame Empty Re: The Metagame

Post by Mado Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:00 am

Absolutely accurate, I think you addressed every problem and there's not much to be added regarding the "pick the best to win" mentality.
Mado
Mado
Admin

https://novastorm.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Unright Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:08 am

I think most meta games are always changing until it eventually stagnates so that people are only using a handful of specific things. They do this so they are as efficient as physically possible. Everything revolves around efficiency and what works best, even in real life.

Yeah, it's kinda sad how people say all OU mons are better than NU mons, but when it comes down to efficiency and what does the job better, these OU mons usually come out on top. When it comes to competitive games, people rarely want to experiment with stuff which is slightly worse than what is working already. I feel that experimenting with less efficient stuff is more for casuals than it is competitive. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just how I see it. Competitive revolves around winning so why bring a knife to a gun fight, yano? A competitive scene without people always striving to be as efficient as possible would simply not be competitive.

Also, I can't really comment on the bans.  I disagreed with a few in the past but it's their meta I guess? lol
Unright
Unright
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Punkin Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:18 am

Nigger this entire fucking post is an opinion, you goob.

I agree that the metagame fucking sucks balls & that it's not fun playing against Lando, Charizard, yadayadayada. I agree entirely, I should add. All of this is pretty useless though unless you brought up a point that can be proven or disproven through evidence that can be observed.

You could've easily logged onto GL or looked at Smogon's statistics to take that & use it to support your narrative. So do it! No, seriously! I'm sure you probably already know this, but to look for usage, you go to "rating battles" & select the format. Then you can see the top 30 Pokemon being used in the given format, what items they normally hold, what natures they have, moves, etc.
Punkin
Punkin

Back to top Go down

Post by charizardf1 Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 am

Punkapunkin wrote:
Nigger this entire fucking post is an opinion, you goob.

I agree that the metagame fucking sucks balls & that it's not fun playing against Lando, Charizard, yadayadayada. I agree entirely, I should add. All of this is pretty useless though unless you brought up a point that can be proven or disproven through evidence that can be observed.

You could've easily logged onto GL or looked at Smogon's statistics to take that & use it to support your narrative. So do it! No, seriously! I'm sure you probably already know this, but to look for usage, you go to "rating battles" & select the format. Then you can see the top 30 Pokemon being used in the given format, what items they normally hold, what natures they have, moves, etc.
If you read the literal first paragraph it literally says "this is my opinion". I don't need proof for my own view on the game because this isn't an argument.
charizardf1
charizardf1

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydrarch Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:27 am

@punkapunkin get the topic’it app and check out my daily posts. You can get notifications on your phone from them and other forum posts, as well as have a much cleaner interface xdxdxd

Sent from Topic'it App
Hydrarch
Hydrarch

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydrarch Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 am

also char this is a nice post, I skimmed through it and I mostly approve. felt like I should comment something nice abt the content and not just advertise the app to dairyon on your post that you presumably spent a lot of time on

Sent from Topic'it App
Hydrarch
Hydrarch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum