Nova Storm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

NS music

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 48 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:05 am
Latest topics
» The Tsukuyomi Potence Arc P.2
Pokemon community mindsets EmptyThu Mar 07, 2024 5:48 am by Surge

» Backstory Risings: Sensei and Pupil
Pokemon community mindsets EmptySun Feb 18, 2024 3:42 am by Tamicat

» Explaining my own Experience
Pokemon community mindsets EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 1:58 pm by Tamicat

» The Tsukuyomi Potence Arc
Pokemon community mindsets EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 8:16 pm by Mado

» I'm hungry
Pokemon community mindsets EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:24 am by FreezingBadlybutcool

» My Experience in Nova & What Happened
Pokemon community mindsets EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 10:34 am by Tamicat

» Self Righteous Ignorance
Pokemon community mindsets EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 12:19 am by charizardf1

» Aren't y'all 30 or something?
Pokemon community mindsets EmptyWed Jan 31, 2024 1:34 am by attackonpoke

» My experience with nova storm chat PART 2
Pokemon community mindsets EmptyTue Jan 30, 2024 2:54 am by Tamicat

Pokemon community mindsets

2 posters

Go down

Pokemon community mindsets Empty Pokemon community mindsets

Post by charizardf1 Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:10 am

As soon as pokemon competitive became a thing there has been a split idealism on how pokemon should be played among the community to keep the game going strong. Those who are very serious about competitive pokemon tend to lean toward and only care about winning look at pokemon on the standpoint that real trainers use only the most viable and best pokemon and strategies based on the numbers and following the trending metagame. The more casual side tend to believe that as long as players use what they like the game will always be fun and enjoyable. There's completely nothing wrong with either of these mindsets but both sides can get pretty ignorant and pushy on their side, believing that the game should only be played like they view it which causes a good split in the community and leaving the conflict to lead players wanting to leave because of it. Nomatter what mindset on how you play the game, all people are different so anyway people feel should be the way to play the game are all wrong because there isn't any certain way to ensure enjoyment for everyone. 

What leads us to these thoughts are obviously our own selfish views in which we would want to see the community all play the same way. I know because I'm also the same way as well as everyone else(nobody's innocent). Even though we do have these selfish thoughts deep down we truly believe there is a way everyone would benefit from our own views. This is why both sides have such a strong resolve to stick to what they believe in but from the outside perspective from both we look at the other side as being blind and retarded without actually understanding eachother's real perspectives even though both sides assume they do. From looking at both points of views and thinking more in depth from each perspective I came to the conclusion that both are right and wrong about their approach on the subject.

Now this leads to what I actually wanted to discuss between both sides and that is what determines the true skill of a trainer? In my opinion after some thought I feel as if this question can't really be answered with one answer but can be approached by many. Both sides actually right with their own views on what makes trainers good and effective in the game. It is very true that you can win and strive with your favorites but since the meta is moreso crowded by the more popular opinion that the best and most viable are the only answer, they hold it firm with confidence that it is the only way due to the results within their meta. This is where the other side of the party starts to die out, being infuriated and saddened by the state that these trainers who only view the game as picking what is seen as the best and not really caring for much else, leading them to quit the game because of how the popular opinion is making it unenjoyable to them due to the corrupt mindset of the opposing side. Then we have that opposing side starting to die out as well, slowly but surely. Lots viewing the meta and game to start to be boring and not as fun due to the metagame being so bland and repetitive. You can arguably say that because of the recent pokemon games that everyone is dying out in general because of that, but that isn't the only reason why the metagame as a whole started to die out. Look at pokemon x and y, in terms of its overall gameplay the game itself is also a pretty bad game yet it boomed to being a really huge era for pokemon meta and kept its hype for the longest.(It literally has less things to do than gen 7. Only having battle maison to look forward to in post game. If I'm wrong feel free to call me out on it.) 

Ok I guess I'll stop the buildup and get to the point. Both of these mindsets are pretty corrupt and are so corrupt due to selfish desires that it kills themselves inside since what they want will never really become a reality for the community which will lead them to be uninterested. This also relates with a lot of other metas as well which always ends up sending the community to a deep void of cancer as a result. Many good people fall because of the split ideology that ruins it for everyone. So now this raises another question....How do we mend this situation? 

From recently playing HGSS I played against the Elite 4 and got to Karen who reminded me of a famous quote many pokemon players kept with them for a very long time. "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best."
-Karen from the Johto Elite Four. When you first read this you could say that karen is catering to the "use only your favorites in order to succeed" side but no, this is not what it means at all. This quote can very well benefit both in one approach to provoke both sides to testing themselves. The ones who value winning and viability above all else would look at this quote and say "Lol this quote is retarded who would use shitmons" while the other side would be like "Yes using your favorites to succeed is the best way to play this game."

Let me try to explain the depth of the quote. From this quote it is not telling either side what to do, but implying a way for both sides to grow as trainers. "Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon." This is acknowledging that she is very aware that not all pokemon are equal and there are obviously those who are superior and those who are inferior pokemon. "That is only a selfish perception of people." This is not really a jab towards the popular side saying that their view of viability is retarded, it means that if you want a way to improve yourself further you would ignore the thought of looking at either as simply strong or weak. "Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokemon they love best." This can actually be looked at in a completely different way if you just open your mind. This is encouraging diversity and variety within the game instead of just sticking to only what is seen as "most viable". This is her giving you the opportunity to expand your mind and try many things. Use whatever you like and don't restrict yourself to certain things so you can discover new things and really figure out what style of battle best ensures that you will have fun. Doing this shows off your own skill and using what you like shows your personality, making you have more fun with the game despite winning or losing. The point of that whole quote was not to tell the player they should play a certain way, but to encourage the player to keep an open mind for the game and warn them of the consequences that fall to you if you close yourself. This is why both sides are always in a struggle with the game, making them feel like playing pokemon isn't even worth it anymore.

The pokemon community has been killing themselves for a long time due to their selfish desires on how pokemon "should" be played. From a more modern generation the games seemed to pull a total 180 with the direction they wanted for players, or so I thought. "It's one thing to enjoy leisurely battles, but real battles can be a severe trial. Truly strong trainers sometimes must be prepared to choose Pokémon that can win rather than their favourite Pokémon." -random NPC on Battle Resort ORAS. Now this time this quote seems to cater towards the viable party but this actually isn't true either. This quote actually says the exact same thing Karen says in HGSS but from another angle. "It's one thing to enjoy leisurely battles, but real battles can be a severe trial." This isn't saying that casual battling is inferior to competitive, but is just stating that competitive battling is a more serious and tense environment than casual battling, which we all know is true since with casual abttling you don't have to worry about anything but with competitive you are battling to win despite if you're battling for fun or for serious events. "Truly strong trainers must be prepared to to choose pokemon that can win rather than their favorites." This line would normally really trigger me, but i actually finally understand what it is actually saying now. The ones who usually just want to stick to their favorites tend to be very stubborn and don't want to try anything else but if they really want to truly improve themselves they must be willing to try something else that can help them against certain matchups. This again, like Karen, is encouraging the player to be more diverse and show more variety than just limiting themselves to their favorites.

In conclusion from realizing the faults of both parties, I feel both should instead of going against each other and being stubborn about which way should be played, we should take this opportunity to grow and have even more fun as trainers by combinding our views. The ones who use their favorites should remind the viable party that if they really want to show off their skill, they should try to learn and execute many different kinds of teams and experiment with as many pokemon as they desire in order to really prove they are the best. The viable party should remind the favorites people that they too should learn and utilize the most viable aspects of the game to improve their skill even further. Both parties are neither inferior nor superior to each other and both are very strong but neither wants to admit it and this needs to stop and acknowledge each others views in order for the pokemon metagame to truly grow as a community and discover many many more ways to battling.

This is probably my conclusion feeling on the view of the metagame conflict. It truly is all of us who are the true cancer of the pokemon community which is why pokemon is dying for most. Hopfully someday more people will understand the logic of unity and stop this stubborn pursuit of black and white. If you have your own input on what i'm saying leave your thoughts on this topic. Am I thinking too in depth on this? Could i actually be wrong about the pokemon community's current relationship? Let me know on the comments below.
charizardf1
charizardf1

Back to top Go down

Pokemon community mindsets Empty Re: Pokemon community mindsets

Post by Mado Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:21 am

You hit the nail on the mark, there's nothing left to add on this. I hate to admit but I've been leaning more towards the side of "fighting with your favorites" the whole time I've been playing although I call myself a competitive player and that's evident in the fact that I exclusively use a small number of Pokemon I deem my favorites or Pokemon I took a liking to in one way or another.

You're completely right about the fact that we should expand our horizons and use just about any available option to learn more about the game and see it from many different angles. After all some Pokemon you never liked before might end up being among your favorites if you give it a chance.
Mado
Mado
Admin

https://novastorm.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by charizardf1 Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:39 am

Mado wrote:You hit the nail on the mark, there's nothing left to add on this. I hate to admit but I've been leaning more towards the side of "fighting with your favorites" the whole time I've been playing although I call myself a competitive player and that's evident in the fact that I exclusively use a small number of Pokemon I deem my favorites or Pokemon I took a liking to in one way or another.

You're completely right about the fact that we should expand our horizons and use just about any available option to learn more about the game and see it from many different angles. After all some Pokemon you never liked before might end up being among your favorites if you give it a chance.
Yes this is why a lot of vgc pokemon players are actually a lot better than you can initially assume. Yeah most of them are just copy paster followers but some like Se Jun Park are actually a perfect example of this. He didn't actually choose pachirisu as a rebel or as a favorite but knew a certain thing he needed for his team to prosper which lead to him choosing pachirisu. His overall knowledge of the metagame and researching elements between a vass choice of pokemon lead him to using pachirisu on his team. This is the goal trainers need to achieve. If we just stick to favorites or most trending/viable then we will never really grow and be able to be on his level of thinking.
charizardf1
charizardf1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down