Nova Storm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

NS music

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 48 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:05 am
Latest topics
» The Tsukuyomi Potence Arc Finale
Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results! EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 2:39 pm by FreezingBadlybutcool

» The Tsukuyomi Potence Arc P.2
Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results! EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 9:02 am by charizardf1

» The Tsukuyomi Potence Arc
Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results! EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 8:56 am by charizardf1

» Backstory Risings: Sensei and Pupil
Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results! EmptySun Feb 18, 2024 3:42 am by Tamicat

» Explaining my own Experience
Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results! EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 1:58 pm by Tamicat

» I'm hungry
Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results! EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:24 am by FreezingBadlybutcool

» My Experience in Nova & What Happened
Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results! EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 10:34 am by Tamicat

» Self Righteous Ignorance
Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results! EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 12:19 am by charizardf1

» Aren't y'all 30 or something?
Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results! EmptyWed Jan 31, 2024 1:34 am by attackonpoke

Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results!

2 posters

Go down

Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results! Empty Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results!

Post by Unright Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:15 am

Today concludes the final results of Novastorms first pokemon tournament of 2023! The tourney was arranged by Zod and he generously offered prizes! This post is to document the tourney results and also players experiences within the tournament.

Singles Mono Tourney Rules
18 types, first come first served
Monotype teams only
Format is 6v6 singles
Battles are best of 3
Cartridge and showdown players can participate
Item clause is in effect
Paradox, ruin, legendaries, mythicals, ultra beasts are all illegal
Last respects and shed tail are banned
Pokemon are locked, EV's, movesets and items are not

Prizes:
1st place - $20 eShop card
2nd place - $10 eShop card
Random gift - Discord nitro to one random participant

Participants: 
 Vik (Dragon)
Kris (Steel)
Mado (Fire)
Onox (Flying)
Surge (Dark)
Codie (Psychic)
Mitch (Grass)
Talon (Water)
Zodiac (Normal)

Above are all the contestants that entered. Each member will have to battle every other member who participated. Which is 8 battles each excluding finals.

Now it's time to interview each contestant!

Codie (Psychic) - Joint 7th Place

Can you give a rough explanation of your team? 
"I wanted my team to win, simple enough. They did sometimes, and i applaud them for it. They did better than Gamefreak could ever. Stan Galarian Slowbro. He was the MVP, my baby, my sweet caroline."

Was there any times you changed up your items or movesets during the tourney?
"I changed stuff up every round but these were the main 6 pokemon with moves switched around or so at times. After every set of rounds i would change stuff up to make it ready for the next person i had to face."

Which opponents gave you the most trouble?
"Tbh i can’t remember anyone i had a hard time against besides Surge and Vik, though i did have fun."

Was there any threats that popped up that you didn't expect?
"I don’t remember many but i remember being bamboozled with a bunch of the movesets on some of the pokemon with signature moves. (Court change bunny starter for example)"

Are you happy with how your team performed?
"Yes, they all slayed. They all get medals in participation (and hopefully discord Nitro) they all deserve it."

Zodiac (Normal) - Joint 7th Place

"The team was supposed to pivot around to acquire momentum and get in a good matchup. Parting Shot would allow me to aggressively switch into my frailer Pokemon, whereas U-Turn would just let me chip away at the opponent."

"Yes. When I was fighting Onox I entirely forgot to add Thunderbolt/Fire Blast to my Tauros. It didn't really end up mattering as Corviknight would live regardless."

"Mitch and Onox probably. Mitch had Sleep spam which allowed him to acquire free turns to either setup or deal damage and Onox had a Corviknight and Bombirdier which was somewhat troublesome to deal with."

"Abomasnow for one, as I never thought I would be facing Aurora Veil in a Grass mono. It was pretty rough and essentially halved my damaged output, allowing the opposing Pokemon to connect a couple Sleep inducing moves. Random Dark Pokemon also disrupted me, not allowing me to pivot with my Grafaiai, which was unfortunate."

"I don't think I did the Normal typing justice. My main goal was to use Persian and Cyclizar, but unfortunately I feel Cyclizar underperformed and looking back I wish I had gone for a more offensive approach. All in all, I had fun, but if I had the chance to redo the tournament I would take it a bit more seriously and plan my movesets out ahead of time."

Onox (Flying) - 6th Place

*autistic silence*

"vik kinda did and cucked my stun spore"

“Vik was a tough one but Mitch gave me a tough challenge with hisuian lilligant also”

Was there any threats that popped up which you didn’t expect?
“hisuian lilligant”

"didnt have the best team but i had fun"

Mitch (Grass) - 5th Place

"Because I'm using mono grass and I'm at a type disadvantage against most teams I planned to either abuse aura veil or spore/sleep powder to set up on or whittle down my opponents. My team consists of more utility based pokemon with a sprinkling of heavy hitters. Toedcruel offered me a potential trick room option if I needed it. Lilligant was my MVP. It has just enough speed EVs to outspeed timid/jolly dragapult after 1 victory dance. Steel tera on Lilligant was super clutch to resist super effective moves and the same goes for rock tera on Abomasnow (which I would only ever use in a niche tournament such as this)."

"Yes I changed items a few times. I originally had foul play on my electrode but gave it taunt before fighting codie as I predicted he would be running trick room. I also changed black sludge on amoongus to auguv berry so I could tera it. Before battling Onox I gave my electrode a more offensive EV spread and choice specs so I could do more damage to his flying pokemon. I also swapped Earth power and rapid spin for Hex and Trick Room on my Toadcruel."

"Vik gave me quite a lot of trouble as I didn't have the best tools to deal with so many strong offensive pokemon and he also carried lum berry on his dragonite. There was also a very unfortunate crit in our first match which meant scouting for info on his team during the first game was very difficult. Chris gave me trouble as well due to his Corviknight carrying taunt. I didn't expect it and he disrupted my plans a bit. Both players also had hisu goodra which was difficult for me to deal with due to them possibly carrying the sap sipper ability. Mado also gave me trouble and due to his fast offensive fire pokemon I had to play a lot more defensively which lead to one of our games going to timer."

"Yes as I did not really consider how often Hisu Goodra and Corviknight would pop up in the tourney. I also didn't expect Zod to have such a bulky fairy tera Oinkologe which I'd have lost to if I didn't have steel tera on my hisu lilligant."

"Yes and no. I am happy with my team but I'm disappointed at its overall performance in the tourney. My team felt disgustingly consistent but despite this my lilligant got crit several times throughout the tournament after I set it up for a sweep. I felt like I was quite unlucky during the tourney due to RNG but overall I had a lot of fun and I'm very pleased with how the team turned out"

Chris (Steel) - 4th Place

"I prepared by going into OU / AG tier with my mono to see if I could win, tried to farm enough Tera shards in game to get the types I wanted but was busy and couldn’t get enough so I stuck to showdown."

"I changed up movesets in preparation of the opponent I was facing based on the type they had"

"Mado and Vik gave me the most trouble"

"I’d say Hisuian Lilligant and oinkologne gave me trouble"

"Somewhat satisfied with my team, but should have reconsidered some trick room or hazard setters to deal with major threats and I should have done more planning"

Mado (Fire) - 3rd Place

"My team is a Fire Mono team made for a 6v6 singles tournament with custom rules, the main plan is to set up Tailwind combined with Sun to go for an overwhelming push with really strong options while using Defog, Rapid Spin and Court Change to keep SR out of my face or force onto the opponent's side. 
Typhlosion I picked purely out of favoring the Pokemon, it's role is the surprise Ice Tera to deal with unsuspecting things that would otherwise be a check like Garchomp, having Focus Sash just in case they do enough damage to knock it out upon outspeeding. I picked Flash Fire for it for when they become aware of it's tera type in the second and third matches but in hindsight I may have gotten more out of Blaze boosted Flamethrower. It otherwise functions like a standard Typhlosion with sun boosted Eruption, Solar Beam for some things that resist it and Focus Blast for the Dark/Normal matchup.
Cinderace is a flexible strong option thanks to Libero and rocks Fire Tera take full advantage of Sun boosted Pyro Ball, Court Change is for getting rid of SR which will cripple a lot of my Pokemon.
For Ceruledge I decided to also turn into a sweeper sort of Pokemon by making use of Weak Armor speed boost and giving it max speed, usually fooling the opponent into thinking they got the upper hand by using a super effective move on me as I use Normal Tera to mitigate that weakness and proc Weak Armor as I set up Sword Dance, sometimes more than once if the opportunity allows, then using Bitter Blade, Shadow Claw or Shadow Sneak for priority, Close Combat replaces Shadow Claw if the matchup requires it.
Torkoal is my Sun setter, doing high damage in its own right with max SpA investment and Eruption/Solar Beam. It can also surprise opponents that sleep on it attempting to set up with Yawn which forces a switch out, furthermore it serves as an option to clear the ever so tiresome for my type SR with Rapid Spin. It can occasionally take advantage of Trick Room when set up by the opponent.
Rotom-Heat is mostly a pivoting damage sponge/interruption Pokemon, it has Overheat to dish out damage when it needs to but for the most part it would Parafusion is a problematic opposing Pokemon and then bail out with Volt Switch. It's somewhat bulky so it's probably the most safe switch-in in the party.
Lastly, I got Talonflame whose main purpose is to set Tailwind and clear out rocks if the other two options aren't good for the current situation but it doubles as a strong offensive Pokemon with priority Brave Bird and Sun boosted Flare Blitz. Sometimes having U-Turn in place of Defog for certain matchups."

"Yes, as explained in the first part, I had to sometimes swap out moves such as Shadow Claw to be more fitting for the current matchup. I put Close Combat in Shadow Claw's place for Surge's Dark Mono team and Zod's Normal Mono team. I also switched Talonflame's Defog for U-Turn to make it easier to pivot around."

"Vik and Zod mostly. For Vik's fight there was a huge oversight on my part thinking Tera Blast(Ice) and relying on Ceruledge clutch would be enough to wing it through the matchup but it wasn't quite enough and my team was mostly dominated. In Zod's fight I was completely walled by Oinkelogne which wore my team down by having +3 Def and SpD most the time, I had no idea how that Pokemon plays or what it does before then. Mitch's round wasn't smooth sailing for me either there were many instances when I could have been put at severe disadvantage and the reason I won was mostly because we did not know sleep clause wasn't in effect. No opponent was cakewalk but for the rest of them I think what it came down to is Ceruledge SD + Weak Armor set up and then the outcome was sorta decided."

"Oinkelogne, I will definitely remember to respect that Pokemon. Codie's Oricorio and Mitch's Meowscarada were also two Pokemon who gave me more trouble than I thought they would."

"Yes, I think my team performed how I would had hoped for the most part and all the mistakes were me being outwitted or being RNG screwed. If I made it into a finals match with Vik or Zod though I would've have made big adjustments like having at least 3 Fairy moves and using Tauros-Blaze for Intimidate or finding a Taunter for Zod."

Surge (Dark) - 2nd Place

"Since I had to work for the first half of the tournament, I was given time to think about what i could use and pondered to what others would and could use. Dark types have some sort of balance between having power and some bulk/hp, but most of them(the good ones) are usually good speedy offensive mons. My team has basically speedy offense mons and 1 bulky one. I wanted to have an actual theme going on and have a better balance of offense and defense though.
Weavile and Samurott were confirmed to be on the team, for speed and to flex with my shiny Samurott, but also Sharpness is a pretty cool ability, and it gets stab from aqua cutter unlike gallade.
Hydreigon was one of the only non paradox/legend dark types i had trained and i was iffy on it being on the team since i already have a speedy mon, but i said why not, lets add a Psuedo legend, vik gets to have 100 of them on his team.
I was thinking of using my mabostiffs in the tournament to able stakeout or intimidate, but they were swapped out for Krookodile, just for a bit more speed, though i was stuck on picking between the two for hours honestly
The magician cat had to be used, the ability it possesses gives me an upper hand on stab moves and can be used as a pivot mon
And between 2 other bulky mons, Umbreon was chosen last after another couple of hours of choosing before i started to battle anyone, one of those 'turn the tables' mons."

"Honestly, I changed my moveset around for everyone throughout the tournament, seems fair enough since we're using monotypes. I gave weavile Rain dance vs mado just to fuck with his obvious weather use lol. It's a little hard to remember what each mon had for each battle, but i saved clips and summaries off what i used on my laptop. As for items, only...Once, I gave weavile a razor claw or whatever instead of a choice band to boost my crit ratio vs mado, but i should've used the band there."

"Vik. I mainly had to avoid his Scarf'd salamence. I had 2 mons that could counter it, but with him having goodra in the back made it a little hard to kill it. Also MITCH, he used psychedelics on me, no comment."

"Threats wise...Zod's pig, but honestly i had no real game plan or way to take it out.
Vik, Scarf Salamance go brrrr, Dragonite after one dragon dance is kinda scary too, especially with tera normal extremespeed.
Mitch, His cursed hisuian mon scared me. Codies espathra, if I wasn't a dark type, his ostrich would've slaughtered me."

"I'm bittersweet with the results of my team, each battle besides charm's had a very vertical uphill moment for a split second or the whole duration of match to where i could've been sleeping the whole time or one miss could cost me a game, etc. I think my team did... 6.5/7 out of 10 so far in this tournament, i just didn't like how i had only 1 special mon and not enough hax like others did, my downfall was there, but not a lot of peple caught on, idk how i even beat vik honestly. I didn't like how fragile they were, people carried the strongest fighting type moves in the game such as close combat, focus blast and body press, which heavily annoyed me. My loss against mado kinda annoyed me as well, I forgot about his tailwind and that cost me game 1, i forgot how i won game 2 though, game 3 vs mado, I was utterly reckless on my part and from what i can tell, I gave up? or less of a fuck after a certain point tbh, not to swear or anything, it just felt hopeless. Yeah I was losing 4-6 vs onox then turned that around to 3-3, but vs mado I just felt like quitting on the spot."

Vik (Dragon) - 1st Place

"The team is fairly straightforward; hit hard and fast. Even though two of my team members weren't exactly the fastest there are, they permeated their roles as I had hoped."

"There was one instance. It was in my first set's game 2, on which I swapped Dragapult's Life Orb for Safety Goggles in order to secure a surefire win against my opponent's Masquerain. It was a very dubious chance that I dared on of him using Stun Spore instead of Sticky Web, especially considering they had a Focus Sash. The remainder of the game was a clean run thereafter. Another instance was versus Zodiac. I had expected him to bring forth Ursaluna, in which I decided to give Dragapult Surf over Shadow Ball, considering it was pointless throughout the battles with his Normal-types."

"Surge. It was my only defeat and all because of his fat ass american child Umbreon. My team was especially physically offensive and it could barely lay a dent on it, while the same could riposte very hard with his Foul Play. I lost 2-1 during that set."

"Umbreon"

"I am thrilled to say it performed as I wished. Running with my favorite type until this point has been one of the best experiences I've had in a while with the current generation. Even though it had. . . Really strong Pokémon, the fact that I lost once only shows that people can still win with their favorites against what's usually stupidly strong."

Results

The final battle of the tourney was between Vik (Dragon) and Surge (Dark)
Both contestants made it through the tournament with 6 wins and only 1 loss each. The battle was decided with Vik beating Surge 3-0 (best of 5). Congratulations to both players!

Vik had this to say after the battle "My finals experience was, unfortunately, not what I had hoped. Perhaps it was due to how the tour got dragged for an extra week or perhaps the guy didn't get much spectators, but considering the team I had picked for it, I daresay I could have gotten a worse time fighting them."

Below are the overall tournament results
Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results! WOZP2LC
Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results! KxrnYrl

Overall this tournament was great! Thank you to Zod for arranging it and offering up prizes as this tourney has been the best pokemon tourney so far and was incredibly fun. Also thanks Surge for keeping track of everyone's scores.

Congratulations to our champion Vik! Who won the tourney using his dragon team!

Hopefully this will be the first of many more tourneys to come! Good work everyone!

Last edited by Unright on Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Unright
Unright
Admin

FreezingBadlybutcool likes this post

Back to top Go down

Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results! Empty Re: Nova Mono Tourney 2023 - Results!

Post by Fang Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:40 am

*autistic silence*
Fang
Fang

Back to top Go down