Nova Storm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

NS music

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 48 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:05 am
Latest topics
» The Tsukuyomi Potence Arc Finale
What classifies a JRPG? EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 2:39 pm by FreezingBadlybutcool

» The Tsukuyomi Potence Arc P.2
What classifies a JRPG? EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 9:02 am by charizardf1

» The Tsukuyomi Potence Arc
What classifies a JRPG? EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 8:56 am by charizardf1

» Backstory Risings: Sensei and Pupil
What classifies a JRPG? EmptySun Feb 18, 2024 3:42 am by Tamicat

» Explaining my own Experience
What classifies a JRPG? EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 1:58 pm by Tamicat

» I'm hungry
What classifies a JRPG? EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:24 am by FreezingBadlybutcool

» My Experience in Nova & What Happened
What classifies a JRPG? EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 10:34 am by Tamicat

» Self Righteous Ignorance
What classifies a JRPG? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 12:19 am by charizardf1

» Aren't y'all 30 or something?
What classifies a JRPG? EmptyWed Jan 31, 2024 1:34 am by attackonpoke

What classifies a JRPG?

4 posters

Go down

What classifies a JRPG? Empty What classifies a JRPG?

Post by Punkin Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:02 am

Hi, everyone! Earlier I had a discussion in the chatroom regarding whether or not Pokemon is a JRPG series. The semantics of language make this entire topic a blur, but thought this would be an interesting topic to explore nonetheless! So here I'll outline my thoughts on what I believe to be the determining factors in distinction between JRPGs & WRPGs (Wester Role-Playing Games; I didn't know that was a term until this discussion, actually.)

First, I'd like to point out that pieces of traditional media are NOT defined by their location, necessarily. JRPGs are NOT just JRPGs because they are made in Japan/Asia. Similarly, anime is not just anime because it's made in Japan. Many series have come from all over the world & still fit into the genre. Many anime series have come from outside of Japan & are still categorized as such. RWBY being a prime example! 

The second point I made was that not all JRPG games follow the classic turn-based structure the JRPG genre is famous for. These two things are not what defines a JRPG as a JRPG. Pokemon may have turn-based combat, an anime style, & be primarily developed in Japan, but it's not a JRPG because of those things. 

Let's look to the Final Fantasy series, for example. The elements that make FF games definitively Japanese are not the combat, not just the artstyle, or the location it was made. Final Fantasy is a JRPG because of the plot, the music, the setting, the characters within the game, etc. In the same way you can hear an accent in someone's voice, you can feel a game. Final Fantasy is a JRPG for it's overall stylization & it is a product of the genre because the people who developed it are cultured & illustrated it be that way.

Persona 5 is another example of a JRPG that I think is VERY JRPG-ish. Persona 5's plot was made in the aftermath of Tokyo's earthquake & the subsequent mentality of the people in the city. Katsura Hashino wanted Persona 5 to be about change; in his own words: "Change. Don't be the same." Persona 5 illustrated a lot of mentalities people within the area developed or already had. The reason you can tell Persona 5 is a JRPG is because the developers were cultured & pieced together the game to be one that served as entertainment & enlightenment for Japanese people.

Now -- how this relates to Pokemon not being a JRPG? Well, it's quite simple now that I've finished outlining what makes these other two titles JRPGs; Pokemon isn't specifically geared towards Japanese people!! The themes conveyed in Pokemon games & the way the game is in general are for a worldwide audience & suit the population as a whole rather than a demographic. Pokemon games aren't made with themes that the devs want a specific kind of people to look at & be reminded of. 

What are your thoughts? What defines a JRPG to you? (Don't say "A game made in Japan"!!Mad)
Punkin
Punkin

Back to top Go down

What classifies a JRPG? Empty Re: What classifies a JRPG?

Post by Onoxdorf Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:23 am

I'd say Pokemon games are JRPG.

My Reasons:
- They were originally developed by a Japanese company within Japan and by Japanese developers. huh duh.

- They may have reached a worldwide audience now, however that does not change the fact that it's a Japanese company at heart with deep roots in Japan. 

- The whole concept of fighting "pocket monsters" was inspired by the Japanese hobby of bug catching. Where Japanese people would often go out and hunt for insects to fight them against other hobbyist's bugs.

-  The first Pokemon games red, green and blue were originally released in Japan in 1996. It wasn't until 1998 when those same games were sold to the Western world in English. If the pokemon games are not Japanese why didn't they release the games worldwide at the same time from the very beginning instead of releasing their games firstly in Japan and then worldwide a significant time later? The company seems to blatantly prioritize their Japanese audience by releasing their games in Japan first a majority of the time. There hasn't been a single Mystery Dungeon game that wasn't released in Japan first before the rest of the world.

- All of the pokemon episodes and series which are inspired from the games are Anime. They host a Japanese art style and are released primarily in Japanese first before dubbed is released for other countries. Yes Anime doesn't signify what is "Japanese", but a majority of other "Animes" are mimicking Japanese art styles to some degree. Lines are blurred in that regard, but the art style of anime is very much to do with Japanese culture. The reason the characters in the pokemon anime have such large eyes is to do with the fact that the typical Japanese person finds it easier to read and express their emotions from their eyes, whilst people in the western world find it easier to express and read emotions through smiles etc. This is actually why anime has so many large eyed characters with detailed and expressive eyes in comparison to the cartoons of the western world that used to have a lot larger mouths and smaller eyes. There is always exceptions to this, however a majority of early western cartoons had characters with large mouths and small eyes, just the same as Japanese anime had larger eyes and smaller mouths.

I've listed all the reasons why I think Pokemon is Japanese. Now let me tell you why I think it's a role playing game. In my eyes a role playing game is a game where you are able to take control of a fictional character and do quests in an imaginary world. In the pokemon games your goal is to finish the pokedex for a professor, explore the world, become the very best, "catch them all" etc. Also there is an enemy you have to defeat in every game. The quest like goals given to your character in the games is what makes it a JRPG in my eyes, however I'm sure you'll disagree. Just my thoughts though!
Onoxdorf
Onoxdorf

Back to top Go down

Post by charizardf1 Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:32 pm

It's a series of role playing games created in Japan. Not sure what makes it any different from any other role playing game in Japan. Ima just make one comparison. Look at Pokemon and Dragon Quest. Both contain a story with a goal, a character you control and walk around with, and a separate battle screen to fight your opponents in. Gameplay on a base in terms of leveling and turn based and such gives it the same elements. What makes a JRPG a JRPG is the Japanese role play formula they utilize and pokemon shares it with every other japanese role play game.
charizardf1
charizardf1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamicat Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:10 pm

vidio james
Tamicat
Tamicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum